Friday, March 23, 2012

Opportunity of a lifetime!


So it is about 5pm on Wednesday evening and we are dog tired from all the travelling around, but, I was telling Harriet that at our recent event we had 2 families sign on to commit to a child. I told her the names of one of the boys and she shrieked with joy because this father is a gospel worker and they are very poor. And in fact they only live about 1/2 hour outside of Kigali. I asked if we could go there to tell the family that we have a sponsor for him and so that I could capture it on video. She agreed knowing that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.....to be there when a family learns that help in on the way. =)

So we arrive only to find only the mom at home with all the other kids, but not the boy we hoped to see and the dad was out on the field somewhere... So it was disappointing, but we were able to share the good news with mom and ohter siblings (some are in school, some are not). While I was imagining some big display of gratitude, she was very reserved and quiet and yet her eyes lit up and she quietly giggled. I had forgotten that Rwandan women are typically quiet and not at all demonstrative (like me). I remembered to look in her eyes. Her body may not have been jumping up and down, but her eyes were dancing!

Mom with 6 of her children

That was by far the most exhausting day I have had in a long time, but it was so worth it. I think everywhere we went there was some disappointment......but in the end it was indeed a long, but wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. Tina, we are praying for you that God will renew your strength as you minister to His people....

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all the updates! may god give you the strength you need to finish your journey there!

    ReplyDelete